History of Scoil Carmel
Scoil Carmel was founded in 1869 and initially served the substantially rural and agricultural community of the parish of Bohernabreena. The school, situated at the foothills of the Dublin Mountains and backed by the green belt on the banks of the Dodder river also served a large area from Rathfarnham, Templeogue, Tallaght and Glenasmol. Scoil Carmel has always been a mixed school. The school was originally housed in the grounds of the Carmelite Convent. The contemplative sisters continue to sustain a valuable and rewarding relationship with the school.
Scoil Carmel moved to its current grounds, neighbouring the convent in 1954. This building was extended in 1975 and, in 1977,due to a large increase in young families in the area, the school was divided and Scoil Carmel became a Junior School serving children from Junior Infants to Second Class.
On completion of Second Class, the children transfer to Scoil Treasa, Firhouse’s senior primary school. The two schools work together to ensure the happy, smooth transition through primary school for all children through synchronization of holidays and school times and through teacher contact and collaboration.
Scoil Carmel is a Catholic Junior School, which serves Firhouse Parish. The children come from diverse cultural, social and religious backgrounds, Children with special needs participate fully in the life of the school. The school includes children sincerely and unconditionally. Parental involvement is valued and encouraged and education at Scoil Carmel is interpreted as a process in partnership between parents, children and teachers and board of management.
At present we have 16 classes. 4 at each level and a team of Resource teachers comprising Learning Support, Special Needs, Teacher for Travellers. Two teachers providing language support for the non-national pupils. In 2004 we celebrated 50 years in existence on our present site.